Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Almost New Dresser








Ok so yet again I forgot to take a before photo however I have a second dresser which is yet to be done and It has the same finish that the first had so please forgive me that it is not the exact one. So here is some back round. My parents had these dressers in our home growing up.  When they moved to arizona all their furniture (which they did not want to take with them) was divided up between the kids and I ended up with this set. It has two dressers and a full size bed. We use the bed in our spare room and I am yet to decide if I will change that but my husband and I have been sharing one of the two dresser for the past 10 years. I know it is crazy! The other day after letting the paint cure for a few days I finally put my clothing in the refinished dresser and showed my husband all the room he had in his... he was shocked at how full his drawers still were. Thats how much we had shoved in there. It was pretty ridiculous.

Any how I sanded and primed the dresser then did 3 coats of white paint. I had to make new holes for the handles as the old handles were 3 1/2 inches from hole to hole and standard handles today seem to be 3 inches. Luckily the new handles covered up the old holes.  So to make the new holes I started by making a jig- a piece of wood with holes drilled in it to match the holes from the handles. I put felt pads on the back of the jig as not to scratch my new finish.  My only problem that occurred was that I broke a drill bit one of the drawers and had to go in at another angle to reach the hole in the handle. It was very frustrating. In the end I think it is a pretty great transformation.










Dont you love the shiny new handles?








Here is the finished product. I  need to touch up one little spot as the drill bumped the drawer when the drill bit broke. Oh well no ones perfect!



4 comments:

  1. Love those handles! Nice handles are so hard to find. Looks great and it is nice that you were able to save a family piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie, i am so pleased with it! I hope the 2nd one comes out just as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job! I can't believe it's the same piece you started out with. If I could, I'd paint every single piece of furniture in my house ... I'm a big fan of painted furniture. You did a great job on your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Katherine! I love painted furniture too. It is like a new life for an old piece.

    ReplyDelete